1. Competition name
- IFCON Bursary and film competition
2. Bursary and Competition Objective
- This bursary and film competition is to support the critical pre-production phase of SF/Fantasy film project development by pairing qualified filmmakers in the SF/Fantasy genre with conceptual designers breaking into the field.
- By providing support to filmmakers to attend the Weta Workshop Fantasy Academy where they will be paired with a conceptual designer into competition teams, the IFCON Bursary and film competition will both underline the value of conceptual design in film concept development, as well as offer a unique opportunity for select filmmakers to take their pre-production stage projects to the next level.
3. Why participate – invaluable insight
- Sir Richard Taylor, world famous Creative Director and the CEO of Weta Workshop, and Iona Brinch, Head Conceptual Designer at Weta Workshop, will come to Korea to give advice and feedback on the selected film project concepts in development and consider the importance of conceptual designs to the pre-production and planning of the selected films.
4. Who this is for
- Filmmakers working in the SF/Fantasy genre with a project concept in the planning stages, looking to accelerate their development with the help of a conceptual designer and feedback from world-renowned Weta Workshop.
5. Film project genre
6. IFCON Bursary selection and award
- Up to five filmmakers/filmmaking teams will be selected for bursary support from all accepted IFCON Bursary and film competition entrants. This support includes complimentary registration to the 2019 Weta Workshop Fantasy Academy in Incheon with free board at the Songdo Global campus for 5 days during the Academy period.
(Meals are not included)
- Selected teams will automatically qualify for the Film competition, where each filmmaking team will be paired with a Conceptual Designer to bring their film concept to life in visual art form.
7. IFCON Bursary screening evaluation criteria
- Feature film synopsis (in Korean and English), Treatment (in Korean), and Scenario (in Korean)
- A completed scenario is not mandatory but extra consideration will be given to those projects submitted with a completed scenario.
8. Filmmaker – Conceptual Designer Pairing workshop
- Filmmaker – Conceptual Designer teams will be paired up during the Weta Workshop Fantasy Academy Orientation on Aug 24 (Saturday), 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. at the Incheon Global Campus (lecture rooms to be announced soon). Filmmakers must be available at the Weta Workshop Fantasy Academy Orientation and work in good faith during the Academy with their paired Conceptual Designer in order to be considered for the Film competition.
- NOTE: Up to 2 filmmakers can participate per film project, and these participants can be different to the filmmakers listed on the Bursary and film competition application form
9. When to submit for entry in the Bursary and film competition
- Jun 20 (Thursday) – Jul 20 (Saturday), 2019
10. Film competition prizes
- Winner (1 team): Weta Workshop ‘Pitching package’, where Weta Workshop professionals will develop your key art into professional quality conceptual designs.
- Runner-ups: Complementary gifts from Weta Workshop
11. Film competition evaluation period
- Aug 26 (Monday) to Aug 29 (Thursday), 2019
12. How to enter the IFCON Bursary and film competition
- Email materials to: email@example.com
※ Competition entry form is available from the website
- Mandatory documents:
① Entry form, plus a 1-2 page synopsis, KOR and ENG)
② Treatment (.hwp and .doc format, 5 ~ 30 pages*, KOR or ENG)
- Optional documents – entry will receive extra consideration:
③ Scenario (.hwp and .doc format, feature film length)
- File Naming: Name_Title_Date (Type of submission)
(예) Example of John Doe’s entry documents for Film Title project:
① John Doe_Film Title_190707 (Entry form)
② John Doe_Film Title_190707 (Treatment)
③ John Doe_Film Title_190707 (Scenario)
※ Formatting: 10 point font e.g. Courier or 나눔, A4 page size